Friday, April 27, 2007

Setting Your Pace

Spring is here and summer is on the way. For many of us, the warmer seasons mean an increase in activities. If we are not careful, we can become physically exhausted and spiritually empty. How can we manage our calendars and set our pace so that our lives do not merely consist of frantic and frenzied busyness? Consider these suggestions for regulating your pace:

*Designate daily quiet times for prayer, meditation, and reflection.
*Determine to say “no” to some good things in order to say “yes” to some better things.
*Decide to be where you are mentally and spiritually, rather than mentally jumping ahead to your next stop or your next appointment.
*Discover the sights, sounds, opportunities, and people you would otherwise bypass if you zipped by in a hurry.

Time is a God-given gift to be invested wisely and never wasted trivially. But one of the wisest investments of time is to re-think and revise how we spend it. In Ken Gire’s book, Windows of the Soul, he offers a “A Prayer for Solitude” that expresses our desire for the right pace and the right perspective:

Help me, O God,

To be a still axis in the wheel of activities that revolves around my life
Deliver me from distractions, which are many,
and lead me to a quiet place of devotion at your feet.
Teach me how to pause at more windows.
I know I won’t see everything,
but help me see something.
So much passes me by
without attention, let alone, appreciation;
without reflection, let alone, reverence;
without thought, let alone, thankfulness.
Slow me down, Lord, so that I may see the windows in roller rinks
and the overarching grandeur of your image
in the Sistine Chapel of the soul…


May the Lord grant us a place to serve and a pace that will keep us serving, learning, and growing for the rest of our lives.

No comments: