Thursday, January 15, 2009

“You Need the Prayer…I Need the Practice”

When I was in college and frequently hanging around the Baptist Campus Ministry, when someone would remark, “I’m praying for you.”  Occasionally there was a wisecracker in the group who would say, “Good. I need the prayer and you need the practice.” 

If you are like me, I am strengthened by the prayers of my friends and fellow believers.  And when it comes to prayer, I really do need the practice…the regular practice of praying that stretches and enriches my walk with the Lord.

This Sunday as we continue Celebrating the Spiritual Disciplines, we are focused on the discipline of prayer.  During worship, our featured text is Luke 11:1-4 and I will be describing prayer as “Talking Honest to God.”

Since many are in need of our prayers (and most of us really do need to practice), as we prepare to focus on prayer, I am asking you to join me in praying about the following concerns and opportunities that affect our church and our nation:

  • Pray for Disciple Now Weekend where over 100 of our students will be challenged to radically follow Jesus.
  • Pray for our Combined Worship Gathering this Sunday that momentum and inspiration of being together with our students might propel all ages into dynamic weeks of outreach and discipleship.
  • Pray for the upcoming inauguration, our incoming President, his administration, and our Congress, that they will lead with wisdom, discernment, and integrity.
  • Pray for the families and businesses who are adversely affected by the current recession.
  • Pray for the many members of our congregation who are discovering and reaffirming their spiritual gifts and connecting with ministry teams.
  • Pray for those in our 32501 Target Zone who need to be connected to God and church.
  • Pray for me and our ministers as we equip and lead and challenge our diverse congregation to embrace our diverse gifts and seize our unique opportunities.

I look forward to seeing you Sunday as we gather for worship and Bible study.

No comments: